Long-Range Plan & Goals
This plan builds on the Board's earlier Long-Range Plan for 2012-16, a copy of which can be found here.
The contents of both the new Long-Range Plan and the School Board Goals for 2015-17 are listed below. To see the respective documents, click here for the 2016-20 Long-Range Plan and here for the School Board Goals. Links to the documents are also available in the left-hand column of this page.
District 401 Long-Range Plan for 2016-20
The Board's Long-Range Plan for 2016-20 covers three main areas:
- Curriculum / Instruction / Technology / Activities
- Facilities and Operations
- Finance and Resources
► Curriculum / Instruction / Technology / Activities
- Continue alignment of instruction to the Common Core State Standards and Career/College Readiness Standards in order to meet and exceed the annual State academic performance averages in math, reading, language arts and science.
- Provide high quality, relevant professional development for educators based on the identified needs of the District, including technology learning tools.
- Assess and improve District infrastructure annually to handle growing technology needs.
- Complete a full 1-to-1 technology implementation in grades 7-12 and a cart-based saturation of devices in grades K-6 by 2020.
- Convert instructional materials acquisition from textbooks to electronic learning materials.
- Review and provide a variety of high-quality curricular and extra-curricular experiences for students.
- Study the feasibility of moving kindergarten back to the elementary buildings with the addition of a full-day program.
- Plan for the recruitment and hiring of a new Superintendent upon the departure of Dr. Anderson.
► Facilities and Operations
- Plan for capital improvements, facility expansion and major upgrades as needed within a consistent cycle of maintenance and repair as identified by the District’s Life/Safety Plan.
- Develop a plan for the exterior landscaping beautification of District facilities.
- Collaborate consistently with the Village of Elmwood Park on facility usage for youth recreation groups, safety issues and issues of joint importance.
► Finance and Human Resources
- Plan for the allocation of funds and debt service to complete curricular and facility improvements.
- Provide an annual balanced budget for District operations.
- Annually review and determine cost efficiencies related to personnel, programs, purchasing, maintenance and transportation.
- Provide accurate and effective financial and human resource services to all District employees and families.
School Board Goals for 2015-17
The School Board Goals for 2015-17 cover three main areas:
- Teaching and Learning
► Goal 1: Maintenance and Improvement of District Facilities
The School Board is committed to the maintenance and improvement of District 401 facilities.
Areas of Focus
a. Safe and Secure Facilities
1) Annually review security operations of the District (fall annually).
2) Plan timeline for construction of secure front entrance at Elm Middle (fall 2015-16).
3) Review facilities for safety concerns (spring annually).
b. Aesthetically Pleasing Buildings and Grounds
1) Review cycle of maintenance and improvement, including the condition of grounds and landscaping (quarterly 2015-17).
2) Meet with the Village of Elmwood Park to discuss joint projects (fall annually).
c. Construction Projects
1) Review construction timelines and progress (monthly Board meetings in 2015-16).
2) Discuss additional major construction projects (winter 2015-16).
3) Determine if additional borrowing is required (winter annually).
► Goal 2: Continued Improvement of Teaching and Learning
The School Board is committed to the continued improvement of teaching and learning.
Areas of Focus
a. Common Core Alignment and New State Assessments
1) Review progress made in curricular areas (monthly Board meetings).
2) Review progress of professional development (December and May Board meetings).
b. Curriculum Improvement
1) Review textbooks needs (winter annually).
2) Discuss high school course additions and deletions (winter annually).
c. Technology Acquisition for the Improvement of Instruction
1) Review improvements to technology infrastructure (quarterly).
2) Review funding and timelines for increased technology acquisition (spring annually).
3) Begin review and planning for 1:1 technology implementation (fall 2015).
► Goal 3: Clear and Consistent Communication
The School Board is committed to providing clear and consistent communication to parents and the community.
Area of Focus
a. Strategies for Providing Messaging
1) Review the tools utilized for providing information to the public (fall annually).
2) Review recommendations for improving communications (spring annually).