Methods for Requesting Public Records
Pursuant to 5 ILCS 140/4b, portions of which require a public body to post on its website a brief description of the methods whereby the public may request information and public records, District 401 provides the following summary of such methods:
- A request for inspection and/or copies of District 401 public records must be made in writing.
- The request may be submitted by personal delivery, mail, telefax or email directed to the District's Freedom of Information officer.
- The District's Freedom of Information officer is Superintendent of Schools Dr. Leah Gauthier.
- FOIA requests should be sent to the following address:
- Individuals making a request are not required to state a reason for the request other than to identify when the request is for a commercial purpose or when requesting a fee waiver.
- Members of the public are not required to use a specific form when submitting a FOIA request.
- However, for the public's convenience District 401 has prepared a FOIA request form that may be downloaded and submitted for this purpose: District 401 Public Records Request Form.
- When writing your request, please provide as much information as possible about the records you seek. This will help expedite the search process.
- To request information that does not require the FOIA process, please see the Contact Us page located elsewhere on the District 401 website.
Note About Transcript Requests
For current students there is no charge for transcripts. For graduates or former students there is a $5 fee per request. Please allow three days for processing.
District 401's Policy on Public Records
For More Information
Please consult the following links for additional information about the Illinois Freedom of Information Act, including the full text of the law and a Spanish-language FAQ:
► Text of the Illinois Freedom of Information Act
► Illinois Attorney General: Frequently Asked FOIA Questions by the Public
► Illinois Attorney General: Preguntas frecuentes por el público
► Illinois Attorney General: FOIA Resources Page