District Policies for Student Handbooks
This page contains links to all District 401 policies that students and parents must indicate they have read, understood and accepted.
Hard copies of these policies are available in the main office at each of the District’s schools.
Please note that these policies may be amended by Board of Education approval during the school year.
Parent/Student Sign-Off Requirement
After reviewing the following policies, every student and parent/guardian must review, sign and submit a sign-off sheet.
One sign-off sheet must be submitted for each student. The sheet is available in English, Polish and Spanish:
- Sign-off sheet in English
- Sign-off sheet in Polish — updated sheet to be posted
- Sign-off sheet in Spanish — updated sheet to be posted
What the Sign-Off Sheet Means
Completing a Parent/Student Sign-Off Sheet indicates that the signers understand and accept the handbook that applies to them, and that they also understand and accept all five parts of the sign-off sheet. These parts are:
- Part 1 | District Policies for Student Handbooks
Please read Part 1 in the sign-off sheet and see below — "District Policies for Sign-Off"
- Part 2 | Cellular Phone Acceptable Use Policy and Parental Permission
Please read Part 2 in the sign-off sheet
- Part 3 | Using a Photograph or Video Recording of a Student
Please read Part 3 in the sign-off sheet
- Part 4 | Electronic Communication
Please read Part 4 in the sign-off sheet
- Part 5 | Notice for Directory Information
Please read Part 5 in the sign-off sheet
Each of these five parts is explained in the sign-off sheet. See below for links to the policies, procedures and exhibits that must be reviewed for Part 1.
The sign-off sheet must be returned no later than five school days after the student’s first day of classes. The sheet will also be included in each student’s beginning-of-the-year packet.
Policies Subject to Change
Please note that District 401 policies are subject to change by the Board of Education.
District Policies for Sign-Off
Before signing the Parent/Student Sign-Off Sheet described above, please review the policies, administrative procedures ("AP") and exhibits ("E") located in the sections below. Each section contains links to the relevant policies, procedures and exhibits.
As previously noted, District 401 policies are subject to change at any time.
- Policy Link | 6:170
- Administrative Procedure Link | 6:170-AP1, Checklist for Development, Implementation, and Maintenance of Parent and Family Engagement Compacts for the Title I Programs
- Exhibit Link | 6:170-AP1, E1, District-Level Parent and Family Engagement Compact
- Exhibit Link | 6:170-AP1, E2, School-Level Parent and Family Engagement Compact
- Administrative Procedure Link | 6:170-AP2, Notice to Parents Required by Elementary and Secondary Education Act, McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act, and Protection of Pupil Rights Act
- Policy Link | 7:190
- Administrative Procedure Link | 7:190-AP1, Student Handbook—Hazing Prohibited
- Administrative Procedure Link | 7:190-AP2, Student Handbook—Gang Activity Prohibited
- Administrative Procedure Link | 7:190-AP5, Student Handbook—Electronic Devices
- Administrative Procedure Link | 7:190-AP6, Guidelines for Investigating Sexting Allegations
- Exhibit Link | 7:190-E1, Aggressive Behavior Reporting Letter and Form
- Policy Link | 7:340
- Exhibit Link | 7:340-AP1, E1, Notice to Parents/Guardians and Students of Their Rights Concerning a Student’s School Records
- Exhibit Link | 7:340-AP1, E2, Using a Photograph or Video Recording of a Student
- Exhibit Link | 7:340-AP1, E3, Letter to Parents and Eligible Students Concerning Military Recruiters and Postsecondary Institutions Receiving Student Directory Information
- Exhibit Link | 7:340-AP1, E4, Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Military Recruiter Access to Students and Student Information
- Exhibit Link | 7:340-AP1, E5, Biometric Information Collection Authorization