Keeping the Elmwood Park Community Informed of Our School's Renovations and Upgrades
On May 11, 2022, the Elmwood Elementary School construction project kicked off with a groundbreaking ceremony. The event featured guest speakers, student singers and contest winners, refreshments and even some swag!
Thank you to everyone who joined us for the celebration, and thank you to all Elmwood Park residents who made it possible for us to take our next step in District 401's vision for building a brighter future for our students, families and community.
Elmwood Groundbreaking Ceremony
PHOTOS: Above, members of the District 401 Board of Education, along with our Superintendent of Schools and Elmwood's building leaders, participate in the ceremonial groundbreaking at Elmwood Elementary School on May 11, 2022. Below, Elmwood students perform their school song under the direction of music teacher Meredith Olson. Click the student photo to see and hear them perform! For more photos, visit these galleries. (Top photo by Alex Romanovsky, DLA Architects; bottom photo by Dave Porreca, District 401)
Renderings of the New Elmwood
During the next two years, work will be conducted to upgrade Elmwood by meeting the following needs:
- Replace boilers and unit ventilators
- Repair or replace the HVAC distribution system
- Repair or replace air conditioning equipment
- Replace galvanized piping
- Repair pipes, drains, related equipment where needed
- Replace water heaters
- Upgrade circuit breakers and electrical panels and related wiring and equipment
- Replace or provide wiring throughout the building
- Replace interior and exterior lighting
ADDITIONAL LIFE SAFETY & LEARNING ENVIRONMENT NEEDS
- Replace windows, repair roofs and conduct tuckpointing around the entire exterior
- Replace doors, including door frames and locks
- Replace security camera, door alarm and public address systems
- Renovate interior spaces to modernize the learning environment
Foundation work began outside the building on March 28, 2022, with completion of the entire project scheduled for August 2024.
What a New Elmwood Will Look Like
Project Floor Plans
ABOVE: Floor plan for first floor of Elmwood (click image for larger view).
ABOVE: Floor plan for second floor of Elmwood (click image for larger view).
John Mills Elementary School took another major step toward a brighter future with its groundbreaking ceremony on May 17.
A milestone on the road to a brighter future for Elmwood Elementary School was reached May 11 with a ceremonial groundbreaking.
Welcome to the first issue of District 401's monthly newsletter on the progress of our elementary school construction projects.
As work begins on Elmwood renovation, the overhang entrance on 75th Court will no longer be used for entrance or exit.
When spring break begins, so will asbestos abatement projects at both District 401 elementary schools. Check inside for details.
Members of the public, including State Rep. Camille Lilly, got a sneak peek at the plans for Elmwood and John Mills construction.