2019 | Community Engagement & Public Input
- MARCH 2019: District 401 sets up website page to serve as central repository for public information about a possible bond referendum to fund elementary school construction/remodeling/addition work.
- MARCH-DECEMBER 2019: Community engagement outreach, surveys, presentation of options, analysis of feedback and development of final plan for Elmwood Elementary School remodeling and John Mills Elementary school remodeling and addition.
- DECEMBER 2019: District 401 Board of Education approval of final plan and ballot question.
2020 | Referendum Approval & Project Preparation
- JANUARY 2020: Architect’s initial plans and renderings introduced to public.
- JANUARY-MARCH 2020: District 401 provides information about the ballot question but does not advocate.
- MARCH 17, 2020: Bond referendum passes 61.8% to 38.1%, with 3,529 ballots cast.
- REMAINDER OF 2020: DLA Architects and International Contractors, Inc. (ICI) prepare for spring 2022 groundbreaking at Elmwood and John Mills.
2021 | Preparation, Bids, Information Sessions
- JANUARY-DECEMBER 2021: DLA Architects and International Contractors, Inc. (ICI) continue preparing for spring 2022 groundbreaking, including reviewing and assessing bids.
- OCTOBER-NOVEMBER 2021: Public sessions are held at both schools in which architectural renderings of the planned changes are shown and visitors are given tours of the schools.
- NOVEMBER-DECEMBER 2021: Bid package award recommendations are presented to the District 401 Board of Education; bid package awards are approved for the Elmwood and John Mills projects.
2022 | Groundbreaking & Phase I Work
- MARCH 2022: Initial foundation work begins at Elmwood.
- MAY 11, 2022: Elmwood groundbreaking ceremony is held.
- MAY 17, 2022: John Mills groundbreaking ceremony is held.
- MAY 31, 2022: Work begins at John Mills.
- SUMMER 2022 AT ELMWOOD: Phase I renovation of the first floor
- SUMMER 2022 AT JOHN MILLS: Phase I renovation of the south wing (both floors) and west wing (both floors); installation of new LED lighting in the cafeteria and gym; start of addition to the school.
- AUGUST 31, 2022: First day of school; the start of classes was moved back to maximize the amount of time available for construction work.
2023 | Phase II Work
- SUMMER 2023 AT ELMWOOD: Phase II renovation of the second floor.
- SUMMER 2023 AT JOHN MILLS: Phase II renovation of remaining first-floor classrooms; renovation of second-floor classrooms, flex rooms and teacher work areas above the main office; work continues on addition.
2024 | Completion
- SUMMER 2024: Completion of mill work, flooring and lighting at both schools
- AUGUST 2024: Anticipated completion date at both schools
As construction gets underway in spring 2022, here's a downloadable look at what's ahead for the Elmwood and John Mills projects. A checkmark will be added as each milestone is reached.