Bilingual Parent Advisory Committee
If you are the parent or legal guardian of an English Learner, you are invited to participate in the District 401 Bilingual Parent Advisory Committee (BPAC):
- 2021-22 BPAC information in English
- 2021-22 BPAC information in Spanish
- 2021-22 BPAC information in Polish
All other members of the District's EL community, including anyone involved in Transitional Bilingual Education (TBE) programming or Transitional Program of Instruction (TPI) services, are invited to participate as well.
2021-22 Meeting Schedule
BPAC will meet from 9 to 10 a.m. on the following dates during the 2021-22 school year:
- First Meeting — Tuesday, Sept. 28, 2021
- Second Meeting — Tuesday, Nov. 23, 2021
- Third Meeting — Tuesday, Feb. 22, 2022
- Fourth Meeting — Tuesday, April 26, 2022
All 2021-22 BPAC meetings are scheduled to take place at the Elmwood Park High School auditorium. Please enter through Door 1.
What Is BPAC?
BPAC is a committee required for public school districts that have TBE programs.
The committee consists of bilingual program parents, legal guardians of ELs, TBE/TPI teachers, counselors or other school personnel and EL community leaders.
The majority of members are parents/guardians of children in the program. Membership is representative of the languages served by the District.
Our activities include the following:
- We review the District's bilingual service plan.
- We receive training from the District to make informed decisions.
- We provide information regarding the English learner program for the D401 community.
- We participate in the planning, operation and evaluation of bilingual and EL programs.
- We meet to plan parent evenings.
After forming, the committee operates autonomously, including the election of officers and the establishment of internal rules and procedures.
BPAC's goals are to:
- Advocate for students in the bilingual and EL programs in District 401.
- Help make decisions regarding the bilingual and EL programs in District 401.
- Connect with other parents in District 401.
- Support the academic achievement of EL student(s) by attending workshops, conferences and other events for bilingual parents.
The contact person for additional information about BPAC is the District's Director for Curriculum & Instruction, Dr. Kimberly Ontiveros. She can be reached at 708-452-5835.