District 401 incorporates a comprehensive policy on student wellness in our educational programs, school activities and food services.
How We Emphasize Wellness
Under this policy we foster student wellness throughout the District in the following ways:
- We support and promote sound nutrition for our students.
- We offer our students food and beverage choices consistent with the current Dietary Guidelines for Americans published jointly by the U.S. Departments of Health and Human Services and Agriculture.
- We foster the positive relationship between sound nutrition, physical activity and the capacity of students to develop and learn.
- We include nutrition education in our health curriculum.
- We support and promote an active lifestyle for our students.
- We teach physical education with the goals of fostering the development of movement skills, enhancing health-related fitness, increasing student knowledge, offering opportunities for learning how to work cooperatively in a group setting, and encouraging the habits and attitudes necessary for a healthy lifestyle.
In addition, our PE and health curriculum is aligned with the relevant Illinois Learning Standards for Physical Development and Health as established by the Illinois State Board of Education.
To encourage programs and activities that emphasize school wellness, District 401 organized a Wellness Council during the 2013-14 school year.
The mission of the council is to develop and implement policies, procedures and practices across every discipline involved with our schools to allow all students, faculty and staff to learn and work in a healthy school environment.
More information about the council can be found in the Wellness Council Charter.