REGISTRATION FOR 2022-23: Information is now available about 2022-23 student registration. The process will be done entirely online via PowerSchool. Please visit these links for instructions:
- 2022-23 Kindergarten Registration
- 2022-23 New Student Registration Grades PreK, 1-12
- 2022-23 Returning Student Registration
A student's residence is the same as the person who has legal custody of the student.
Parents/legal custodians must provide documentary proof of residency every year, regardless of how many years they have lived in Elmwood Park.
Please direct your questions to your school's enrollment contact person:
JOHN MILLS ELEMENTARY
Denise Wurtz, Building Secretary
John Mills Elementary School (Grades K-5 north of tracks; all preschool)
Felicia Mirabile, Building Secretary
Elmwood Elementary School (Grades K-5 south of tracks)
Maria Vargas, Building Secretary
Elm Middle School (Grades 6-8)
ELMWOOD PARK HIGH
Dina Koutroumanes, Deans' Secretary
Elmwood Park High School (Grades 9-12)
Please note that the main offices of John Mills Elementary, Elmwood Elementary and Elm Middle close for summer break. If you plan to enroll your child during that time, please direct your questions to the Registrar's Office at Elmwood Park High School:
DURING SUMMER BREAK
Kim Kaminski, Registrar
Any homeless child shall be immediately admitted, even if the child or child's parent/guardian is unable to produce records normally required to establish residency.
If you have questions about enrolling a homeless child in District 401, please use the following contact information:
For more information, please see our Enrollment If Homeless page.
A student whose family moves out District 401 during the school year will be permitted to attend school for the remainder of the year without payment of tuition.
When a student's change of residence is due to the military service obligation of the student's legal custodian, the student's residence is deemed to be unchanged for the duration of the custodian's military service obligation if the student's custodian has made a written request. District 401, however, is not responsible for the student's transportation to or from school.
Non-resident students may attend a District 401 school without payment of tuition pursuant to one of the following:
- A written agreement with an adjacent school district to provide for tuition-free attendance by a student of that district, provided both the District 401 Superintendent or designee and the adjacent district determine that the student's health and safety will be served by such attendance.
- A written agreement with cultural exchange organizations and institutions supported by charity to provide for tuition-free attendance by foreign exchange students and non-resident pupils of charitable institutions.
- An intergovernmental agreement.
- An Illinois law, a federal law or a court order mandating the acceptance of a non-resident student.
The District has several options that can confirm or disprove residency:
- The District subscribes to a special database that has access to public records.
- The District may also use a private investigations company to assist.
If District 401 determines that a non-resident student is attending a District school and is not covered by a permitted exception, the person who enrolled the student will be notified of the non-resident tuition amount that is due, and the District will immediately begin proceedings to ban the student from future attendance.
The notice shall be given by certified mail, return receipt requested.
The person who enrolled the student may challenge this determination and request a hearing as provided by the Illinois School Code (105 ILCS 5/10-20.12b).
In Illinois, it is a Class C misdemeanor to knowingly enroll or attempt to enroll a child in the wrong school district, or to knowingly or willfully present false information regarding the residency of a child for enrollment purposes. See 105 ILCS 5/10-20.12b(e)-(f).
In addition, as noted above in the section titled "If Non-Residency Is Proven," the person who enrolled the student will be billed for each day of non-resident tuition.