Enrollment for Returning Students

All District 401 students, whether new or returning, must enroll in the District each school year. The enrollment process is also known as "registration." This three-step process involves:

How to Enroll as a Returning Student

District 401 is no longer using LINQ to enroll students. At this time, students should contact their home school for directions on the enrollment process, including how to establish Elmwood Park residency. Use this list for determining your home school:

Enrollment is governed by Section 7:50 of the Board of Education's District Policy Manual.

If You Are Homeless

Any homeless child shall be immediately admitted to District 401, even if the child or child's parent/guardian is unable to produce records normally required to establish residency.

District 401's liaison for homeless children is Dr. Kari Smith, Assistant Superintendent for Student Services. She can be reached at smithk@epcusd401.org.

Definition of "Returning Student"

A student is a "returning student" if he or she did attend a District 401 school during the previous school year, including John Mills for preschool or one of our alternative schools.

For the purposes of 2021-22 enrollment, this means a student is considered "returning" if he or she was enrolled as a District 401 student during 2020-21. All returning students must enroll again if they want to attend a District school in 2021-22.

If your student did not attend a District 401 school in 2020-21, please see the New/Transfer Students page.

More Information

Additional details about the enrollment process for returning students can be found below in the rows labeled "Step 1: Proof of Residency," "Step 2: Payment of Fees" and "Step 3: Consents."

For your convenience, you will find links to PDF copies of all necessary enrollment documents by scrolling down to the row titled "District 401 Forms & Documents." Consult the other rows below that for access to documents that pertain specifically to your child's school.