Student Handbooks FAQ
The following are answers to the most frequently asked questions about District 401 student handbooks. Click the rows to see the answers to each question.
Yes. Both students and parents are required to read their school's handbook and sign off upon completion.
The handbook outlines our rules and expectations for students. Parents and students are expected to be aware of and abide by those rules and expectations, which is why they are required to submit a sign-off form.
Downloadable PDF copies of each school's handbook can be found at these links:
- John Mills Elementary School Handbook | 2022-23*
- Elmwood Elementary School Handbook | 2022-23*
- Elm Middle School Handbook | 2022-23
- Elmwood Park High School Handbook | 2022-23
*PLEASE NOTE: Both of District 401's elementary schools use the same handbook. So you will see title pages for both schools in this edition of the handbook.
Your signature indicates that you understand and accept the contents of your school's student handbook as well as the terms of all five parts of the Parent/Student Sign-Off Sheet.
Those five parts are:
- District Policies for Student Handbooks
- Cellular Phone Acceptable Use Policy and Parental Permission
- Publication of Student Photos
- Electronic Communication
- Notice of Directory Information
Each of those five parts is explained in the sign-off sheet.
No. Each District 401 school is governed by all policies set by our Board of Education, regardless of whether or not the policy is located in a specific school's handbook.